On May 12, 2009 I read a list of advice my brother-in-law received during graduation from Yale Law:
- An hour of sleep before midnight is worth two, and an hour of work before noon is worth two.
- Always pick your kids up from school. That's when they want to talk.
- Never let your skill exceed your virtue.
- Never take less than two weeks off when you have a child or for your honeymoon. Don't let them talk you down.
- When you mess up, admit it frankly and quickly, and move on.
- Always do your very best in your job, but if you don't like what you're doing enough that you would do it for free, quit. (This seems extreme, but at the same time mentally liberating.)